Zuke/Summer Squash Fresh Herb Fritters
Salt and freshly milled pepper
2 lbs zuke/squash coarsely grated
2 eggs, beaten or 1⁄2 c. pureed silken tofu
1 bunch scallions or 2 small sweet onions, including an inch of greens, thinly sliced
1 tsp chopped mint (optional) Olive oil as needed 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- Lightly salt the zucchini and set aside in a colander to drain for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients together except the oil and pepper.
- Quickly rinse the squash, squeeze out the excess water, then stir it into the batter. Taste for salt and season with pepper.
- Film two large skillets with olive oil. When hot, drop in the batter—1/4 cup makes a fritter about 3 1⁄2 inches across—and cook over medium heat until golden on the bottom. Turn and cook the second side.
- Serve hot with yogurt sauce, marinara sauce, salsa verde, or garlic mayonnaise. Serves 4.