Show Your Sweetie You Heart Them Beyond Valentine’s Day
by Christina Meyer-Jax, Tastemaker in Residence
Nothing says I love you more than your heart-felt concern for your sweetie’s well being and I have some tips for perfectly-portioned treats and sweets (and other fun items) that will keep you on the road to a healthy lifestyle beyond Valentine’s Day.
Here is one of the recipes I will be featuring (adapted from www.plated.com):
Good for your Heart Quinoa-Avocado Salmon Salad
⅔ cup quinoa
2 ﬁllets salmon
1 pint grape tomatoes
¼ cup cilantro
½ bunch scallions
½ red onion
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup water
- Cook Quinoa - Rinse quinoa under cold water using a ﬁne mesh strainer. Place quinoa, 1 cup water, and a pinch salt in a medium pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until water has evaporated and quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat, cover, and set aside.
- Sear Salmon-Rinse salmon and pat dry with paper towel. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium nonstick pan over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add salmon. Sear until browned on outside and slightly opaque, about 5 minutes per side.
- Prepare remaining ingredients- Meanwhile, wash tomatoes, cilantro, and scallions. Halve tomatoes and ﬁnely chop cilantro and scallions. Peel red onion and mince.
- Prepare Quinoa Salad-Juice 1½ limes into a large bowl. Add halved tomatoes, chopped cilantro and scallions, minced onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. Toss to combine. Stir in cooked quinoa. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Prepare Avocado-Halve avocado and discard pit. Using a spoon, carefully scoop out ﬂesh and discard skin. Cut into thin slices. Squeeze over remaining half lime and season with salt and pepper.
- Plate Salad-Flake salmon with a fork. Divide quinoa evenly between two bowls. Top with avocado and salmon and serve.