Last-Minute Salmon Burgers with Red Pepper Mayo
Keep canned salmon on hand and you’ll have everything you need to make these crispy, flavorful salmon burgers in your pantry. An easy roasted red pepper mayo does double duty in these burgers: as a binder for the patties, and as an irresistible topping.
YIELD = Makes 4 burgers
For the red pepper mayo:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup (packed) coarsely chopped and drained roasted red bell peppers
2 tsp drained capers
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the burgers:
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
18 oz canned salmon, drained, picked through, flaked
2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
4 hamburger buns
1/3 cup drained roasted red bell peppers, cut into 1/4" strips
Make the red pepper mayo:
- Blend mayonnaise, bell peppers, capers, lemon juice, and salt in a blender, scraping down sides if needed, until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl.
Cook and assemble the burgers:
- Mix breadcrumbs, pepper, and 1/2 cup red pepper mayo in a large bowl. Gently fold in flaked salmon. Divide mixture into 4 patties about 1/2" thick and 4" wide.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high until shimmering. Working in batches, cook buns, cut side down, until golden brown and toasted, about 2 minutes. Divide among plates.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in same skillet. Cook salmon patties until golden brown and heated through, 2–3 minutes per side. Transfer burgers to bun bottoms. Spread about 2 tsp. red pepper mayo over burgers. Arrange bell pepper strips over, then top with bun to close.
- Red pepper mayo can be made 5 days ahead. Store in a resealable container and chill. Burger patties can be formed 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.