Best Ever Beet Salad
by Kimberley Thompson, Tastemaker in Residence - Recipe from Cuisine at Home Magazine, Summer Edition
This is one of the recipes from Kimberley's family reunion post; you know the one that balances the Fear and Expectations of the "expected" recipes vs the new kids on the block recipes! Check out the rest of her recipes!
Ingredients -Beets prep
3 large or 6 medium beets
- Wrap in foil and bake in 400º oven until fork tender (about 3 hours for large).
- Remove from oven and let cool. When cool, cut into 1/2 inch dice and allow to totally cool off. Can do this step the day ahead and refrigerate diced beets.
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk above ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
4 cup fresh blueberries, picked over for stems, rinsed and drained
1 cup pecan halves
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1 4 oz carton crumbled goat cheese
- In large bowl place diced and chilled beets, fresh blueberries, pecans and fresh mint. Pour vinaigrette over the top and toss.
- Just before serving salad, gently stir in goat cheese crumbles, saving some to dress the top of the salad.