Banana Walnut Wontons
by Katie Chin, Tastemaker in Residence
My sister Jeanie is hosting an intimate dinner party for New Year’s Eve and was looking for an sophisticated yet easy dessert to make for her guests. I suggested this Banana Walnut Wonton recipe which is amazingly simple to make yet so elegant and festive when served in a martini glass over French vanilla ice cream and drizzled with melted chocolate.
You simply combine chopped ripe banana and combine with store-bought candied walnut pieces and sugar. Place a tablespoon or so in the center of a wonton wrapper.
Fold the wrapper into a classic wonton shape by folding the skin into a triangle first and then dabbing the bit of water on the right side. Fold the right side under the left side and pinch. Fry wontons in a wok or deep skillet filled with oil and heated to 350 degrees until golden brown.
Place two wontons in a martini glass over French vanilla ice cream and drizzle with with melted
chocolate. Add some mint leaves for garnish.
2 ripe bananas, chopped
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup store-bought candied walnut pieces
20 wonton wrappers
oil for frying
French vanilla ice cream
mint leaves for garnish
- Combine the banana pieces, sugar and walnut pieces in a medium bowl (do not mush the banana pieces).
- Place about 1 tablespoon of the mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper. Moisten all the edges of the won ton wrapper with water. Place a heaping teaspoon of won ton filling in the center.
- Fold the wonton wrapper in half lengthwise, making sure the ends meet. Press down firmly on the ends to seal. Use thumbs to push down on the edges of the filling to center it. Keeping thumbs in place, fold over the wonton wrapper one more time. Push the corners up and hold in place between your thumb and index finger. Wet the corners with your fingers. Bring the two ends together so that they overlap. Press to seal. The finished product should resemble a nurse’s cap. Repeat with remaining wontons.
- Heat oil for deep-frying to 350 degrees. Add wonton in small batches and fry, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Fill martini glasses with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream. Drizzle with melted chocolate and garnish with mint leaves. Serve immediately.