Smashed White Bean and Kale Quesadillas with Creamy BBQ Dip
by Christina Meyer-Jax, Tastemaker in Residence - Author: Gina Matsoukas
These smashed white bean and kale quesadillas served with a creamy BBQ dip are the perfect meatless meal for a light dinner.
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
salt & pepper
4-5 leaves tuscan kale, stems removed and cut into thin strips
2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
2 whole wheat 10 inch tortillas
¼ cup plain yogurt
2 Tbsp BBQ sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the shallots, beans, salt & pepper and cook for about 5 minutes until the shallots are softened, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a small bowl, mash with a fork or potato masher and set aside.
- Place the tortillas in a microwave with a damp towel on top and microwave for about 20 seconds to soften.
- Place one tortillas in the skillet, sprinkle the entire tortilla with cheese then spread the bean mixture on only one half of the tortilla. Top with half the kale, then sprinkle a bit more cheese on top of the kale. Fold the tortilla in half, press down and cook for about 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Transfer the tortilla to a cutting board and cut into four pieces.
- Repeat with the other tortilla and remaining ingredients.
- To make the dip, combine the yogurt and BBQ sauce in a bowl and stir together.
- Serve warm with the dip.