Pastel de Pollo = Cuban Chicken
by Vicki Brunsvold, Tastemaker in Residence
This is a Cuban chicken dish in a puff pastry.
1 pkg Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheets, thawed
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 minced garlic cloves
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup green, pimento stuffed olives, sliced
1 small jar diced pimientos
3/4 cup frozen sweet green peas, thawed
Salt & Pepper to taste
Egg wash - egg whisked with 1 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Sauté chicken in large sauce pot, sprinkle with garlic powder, cook till tender. When cool, shred or dice (leftover chicken could be used)
- In large skillet, sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic (sofrito mixture) in olive oil for about 5-6 minutes. Add tomato paste and white wine, cooking over low heat for 5 minutes. Add cooled, shredded chicken, mix well, and add rest of ingredients, cook another 5 minutes.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Unfold one pastry sheet onto pan. Spread chicken/sofrito mixture all over pastry. Unfold 2nd pastry sheet and place on top of chicken. Brush egg wash over top of pastry.
- Cut into squares BEFORE baking.
- Bake around 30 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve warm or at room temperature