Chocolate Caramel Almond Tart
by Vicki Brunsvold, Tastemaker in Residence
1 Pillsbury pie crust (found in the refrigerated section)
20 caramels, unwrapped
3 Tbsp heavy cream
3 Tbsp butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
3/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
5 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2/3 cup heavy cream
- Prepare pie crust in 9” tart pan, press along bottom and sides of pan, prick with fork and bake in preheated 450° oven for about 10 minutes until light golden brown. Cool.
- In small heavy saucepan, slowly melt butter, caramels and cream until mixture is smooth, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and beat in powdered sugar
- Stir in toasted almonds and immediately spread over cooled crust
- Melt chocolate with 2/3 cup cream, stirring constantly till smooth.
- Pour over caramel mixture
- Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours
- Slice into very thin pieces, about 1”, top with whipped cream and toasted almonds
Whipped cream and 2 Tbsp toasted almond slivers