Chesapeake Chowder Recipe
1/2 lb. unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
1/2 lb. fresh crabmeat
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
1 (8-oz.) bottle clam juice
5 red potatoes, peeled and diced
1 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/2 cup heavy cream
Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
1. Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
2. Drain and flake crabmeat, removing any bits of shell. Set seafood aside.
3. Sauté onion, garlic, and celery in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until tender.
4. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in broth and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Stir in shrimp, crabmeat, and heavy cream; cook over low heat 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Garnish, if desired.
Makes 8 cups
Recipe from Southern Living Magazine