Ellen's Blueberry Tart Recipe
by Cindi Sutter, Founder of The Spirited Table®
Recipe provided by Ellen Koher
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 tsp. white vinegar
5 cups blueberries
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. almond extract
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9-inch square or round tart pan with a removable bottom with nonstick spray.
- Pulse 1 cup flour, 2 tbls sugar and the salt in food processor until blended. Add butter then pulse just until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle with vinegar and pulse just until blended.
- Turn dough and bring together with fingers
- Press dough into bottom of tart pan then top with 3 cups of berries.
- Mix remaining 2 Tbsp. flour and 2/3 cup of sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Evenly sprinkle over berries and drizzle with almond extract.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until bubbly; remove from oven and top with remaining 2 cups of berries.
- Cool on a wire rack. Then sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Loosen from pan once it is cooled.
I also do a simple tart using slice and bake sugar cookies as the base. Usually found in a tube at your grocery store. Lay out the cookie slices on a pizza pan. Once the cookie base has cooked, coat it with raspberry jelly, then add a layer of lemon curd, then add any berries you like. Top with a sprinkle of sugar and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.