Lovable Snack Bites
by Christina Meyer-Jax, Tastemaker in Residence
This recipe is inspired by The Minimalist Baker, these no bake bites are full of fiber and are naturally sweetened with fruit. A perfect snack to add with or after your “me” time activities.
1 1/4 cup raw (unsalted) walnuts or cashews
1 cup firmly packed dried unsweetened mango (or dried apple slices works too if you don’t like mango)
10 pitted medjool dates
2 Tbsp hemp seeds
1/3 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut (or substitute finely chopped pecans if you don’t like coconut)
Optional: 1 lime, zested (if using mango) or 1 teaspoon of cinnamon if using apple
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put nuts on a baking sheet and toast for 8-12 minutes or until light golden brown set aside.
- While nuts are cooling, add dried mango (or apple) to a mixing bowl and cover with warm water. Let soak for 5-7 minutes or until bendable but not too soggy. Drain, pat and dry off excess moisture. Set aside on a towel.
- Add nuts to a food processor and mix into a fine meal. Remove from bowl and set aside.
- Add pitted dates and soaked, dried mango (or apple) to the food processor and mix until a rough paste/sticky dough forms.
- Add nut meal back in, along with hemp seeds, shredded coconut, lime zest (optional if mango), cinnamon if apple and sea salt. Mix until it forms a moldable dough. Add more coconut or hemp seed if it feels too sticky or wet. Add more dates if it’s too dry.
- Scoop out rounded 1-1.5 Tablespoon amounts and roll into little balls in the palms of your hands. Then roll in more shredded coconut or hemp speeds, finely chopped pecans or a mixture of all.
- Enjoy immediately. Store at room temperature up to 3-4 days, in the refrigerator 1 week, or in the freezer up to 1 month.