Recipe by MaryJanesFarm-Home for the Holidays-Dec-Jan 2015
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Butter a medium baking sheet (10” x 15”). Line a large baking sheet (13” x 18”) with wax paper.
- In a medium saucepan, mix sugar, water, vinegar, and cream of tartar together. Over medium-high heat, bring to 290°F without stirring.
- Remove from heat; mix in baking soda and peppermint extract. Pour onto buttered baking sheet. Cool slightly without disturbing until cool enough to handle (5-10 minutes).
- With buttered hands, pull until white. Divide into 6 pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll into 3/4”-thick ropes and cut into 1" pieces. Pull each piece into a flattened strip roughly 1/2” wide by 10” long. Fold in half lengthwise and twist together. Place on baking sheet lined with wax paper to dry and harden (about 30 minutes), straightening sticks if needed.
- To store, arrange in single layers between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container.
Prep time: 1 1/4 hours, plus 35-40 minutes
Cook time: 15-18 minutes
Makes: About 11 oz.