Wild Rice Recipe
by Brenda Langton, Tastemaker in Residence
1 cup wild rice
1 tsp. salt
- Wash 1 cup of rice in a colander and place it in a covered saucepan with 1 tsp. of salt and 3 cups of water.
- Bring the water to a boil; then turn down the heat and let the rice simmer for approximately 20 to 50 minutes, depending on the type of rice. Check the package for cooking times, but in general, cook wood-parched, or roasted lake rice for about 20 minutes and typical paddy rice for about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Wild rice is a hearty food for cold climates. Try a bowl drizzled with a little soy sauce and olive oil.
- Wild rice in soup is always a winner.
- Make warm pilafs with a few diced vegetables
- Serve wild rice cold in a summer salad, lightly dressing in olive oil vinaigrette. Blueberries and corn are nice additions, as are celery and nuts.