Wild Rice Pilaf Recipe
by Vicki Brunsvold, Tastemaker in Residence
1 cup wild rice
1 cup basmati brown rice
5 cups chicken stock, divided
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups diced sweet onion (1 large)
2 cups diced celery (about 5 stalks)
1 cup diced yellow bell pepper (or combo of yellow, orange and red)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
1/2 cup butter
1 cup pecans
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375. Toss pecans with melted butter, honey, and salt until well coated.
- Toast in oven about 10 minutes on a large sheet pan. Stir and cool.
- Cook rinsed wild rice in 3 cups chicken stock - about 45-50 minutes
- Cook rinsed basmati brown rice in 2 cups chicken stock and olive oil - about 35-40 minutes
- Heat the 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery and cook about 6 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Combine rices and vegetables and juices in a casserole dish.
- Stir in pecans, reserving a few for garnish.
- Warm in oven about 20 minutes.
Can be made a day ahead and refrigerate, adding additional time for baking before serving