Turkey Soup Recipe
by Sue Zelickson, Tastemaker in Residence - A great recipe for the left over Turkey carcass. Courtesy of Minnesota Heritage Cookbook Volume 1.
1 (12-16 lb.) turkey carcass
1-2 bay leaves
5-6 whole cloves
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. chicken base
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup leftover gravy and turkey dressing
1/4 tsp. curry powder (optional)
1 hard boiled egg, minced
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup Port wine
6-8 orange slices
1. Cut meat from bones, and cover carcass with water.
2. Add bay leaves, cloves, salt and pepper. Simmer for 3-4 hours.
3. Remove bones and drain stock through a colander.
4. Make a roux by melting the butter and adding flour and chicken base. Add this to the drained liquid a little at at time.
5. Bring to a boil, using a wire whisk to blend thoroughly.
6. Add rice, onion, celery and season to taste.
7. Cook about 25 minutes until rice is done.
8. Add diced turkey and about 1 cup of the leftover gravy and turkey dressing.
9. If using curry, mix it with a little broth and add to the soup. Simmer until serving.
10. Add minced egg, orange juice and wine just before serving and top bowls with orange slices.