Russian Fluff Recipe
by Penny Amrani, Tastemaker in Residence
2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion chopped
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup pre-cooked Minute rice
1 can medium size peas with juice
1 large can mushroom pieces with juice
1 can tomato soup undiluted with 1/2 can of water
1 cup diced celery
1 green pepper - chopped
- Butter casserole dish
- Brown onion and ground beef; add 1 cup boiling water.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes. Add cooked rice.
- Add canned vegetables, soup, celery and green pepper.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Top with crushed Wheaties
- Dot with butter on top.
- Bake at 350° for 60-90 minutes, depending on pan size and oven.
My mother made this “Russian Fluff" casserole.
I still make it every now and then and think dearly of her.
There is nothing fancy, just good ole “Comfort food.” Basically, ground beef plus at least 7 other ingredients all from cans; it gets better when topped with butter and Wheaties—yummy!!!!
My mom was actually a very good cook. I’ve loved this throw together dish forever.
Enjoy—you can’t stop eating it—Really!