Mini Mac & Cheese Recipe
Courtesy of Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist
1/2 lb. elbow macaroni (or 4 cups cooked)
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp. butter, plus more for pan
1 Tbsp. Dijon
2 dashes Tabasco
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the macaroni for about 5 minutes, to just al dente, which is just a touch firmer than how you’d like to eat it. Drain.
- Brush mini muffin pan with melted butter, then sprinkle half the grated Parmesan into the muffin cups.
- On medium-low heat, warm butter and cheddar cheese, and whisk till smooth. Off heat, add Dijon, Tabasco, egg yoke, and whisk again. Add macaroni and mix until well coated with cheese.
- Spoon into muffin cups, making them slightly rounded and packing them lightly. Top with grated Parmesan
- Bake at 425° for 12 to 14 minutes, until golden on top.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving, because they will set as the cool.
- Sprinkle with smoked paprika. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Makes 24 mini macs —-the perfect amount for an appetizer at a dinner party for 8. For a cocktail party, double the recipe, using a whole box (1 lb.) pasta.