Mango Salsa Recipe
by Brenda Langton, Tastemaker in Residence - Author & Owner-Spoonriver Cookbook & Restaurant - Minneapolis, MN.
1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped ripe mango
2 to 3 Tbsp lime juice
Pinch of nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
2-inch piece ginger root, peeled
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 Jalapeño, minced
Pinch of salt
Cayenne or chili paste (optional)
- Measure out 3/4 cup of the chopped mango and set it aside.
- Puree the remaining 3/4 cup mango with the lime juice until it is very smooth.
- In a bowl, mix together the pureed and chopped mango. Add the nutmeg, coriander, and cardamom.
- Finely grate the ginger root. Squeeze the ginger tightly in your hand to extract 1/2 Tbsp of ginger juice. Discard the pulp.
- Add the ginger juice, mint, and jalapeño to the mango mixture. Mix well. Season lightly with salt and add cayenne or chili paste (if using). You can serve the salsa either at room temperature or chilled.