Eggs in Hell Recipe
These spicy guys will wake you up in more ways than one. The great thing about this dish is that it serves well at room temp, so there is no rushing around like a front tire-changer when the eggs are finished cooking. They can just sit on the table until everyone is ready to eat.
- 4 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and cut
- 1 t. hot chile flakes
- 3 c. basic tomato sauce
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino
- Prepare enough coals for a medium-hot fire or set a gas grill to medium-high.
- Heat a skillet, preferably cast iron, on the grill. Add the olive oil and heat until just smoking.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, jalapeño peppers and chile flakes and cook until the vegetables are softened and light brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Immediately lower the heat until the mixture simmers and carefully crack the eggs one-by-one into the sauce.
- Cook 5-6 minutes or until as set as desired. ( I like the whites set but the yolks still quite runny.)
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle on the cheese.
- Allow to cool 3-4 minutes before serving
From Mario Tailgates NASCAR Style Cookbook