Croque Monsieur Recipe
by Table 301, Tastemaker in Residence
Ham (We use an unsalted, boiled ham; but any and all other options are viable.)
- Choose two pieces of sourdough bread that you would like to use for your sandwich.
- Spread the cooled Mornay cheese sauce on each side of the bread.
- Place 2 or 3 oz of sliced ham on the bottom piece of bread.
- On your top half, place sliced Gruyere cheese.
- Put your two halves together to make the sandwich.
- Spread a small amount of butter on the top of your sandwich, and toast it in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Once golden brown and delicious, remove the sandwich from the pan and spread a generous amount of Mornay cheese sauce on top of the sandwich.
- Put in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the cheese sauce has golden brown coloring and is bubbly.
- Serve with a side salad or French fries.