Buttermilk Cornbread Recipe
By Brenda Langton, Tastemaker in Residence
2 cups Buttermilk
1/4 to 1/3 cup Honey or sugar
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
1 cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Salt
2 1/2 cups Coarse cornmeal (available at food co-ops and natural food stores)
- Preheat the oven to 250° and oil a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs until they are light. Add the buttermilk, honey (use 1/3 cup if you prefer sweet cornbread), and oil. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cornmeal. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and continue stirring until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. When it is done, the cornbread will spring back when touched lightly in the center. Or test it with a toothpick or a cake tester.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool about 10 minutes. Serve the cornbread warm.
Serves 10 to 12