Braised Cabbage Recipe
Recipe provided by Loon Organics
You wouldn’t believe how tasty and EASY this is. One of our favorite ways to eat cabbage. It is Deborah Madison’s recipe and she reminds us that a fresh summer cabbage is close to divine, especially prepared very simply.
About 1 lb. fresh cabbage (1/2 of a large cabbage)
Butter (the best you can get), to finish
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Slice the cabbage into ½-inch-wide ribbons. Put them in a wide pan with ½ cup water.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat until the cabbage is wilted and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the cabbage well and toss it with butter. Taste for salt and season with pepper.
That’s it and it’s just fine, especially if you are serving it with a number of other dishes at a meal with their own herbs and seasonings. If you’re not, a few variations you can take this humble dish.
- With Gorgonzola Butter: Toss cabbage with Gorgonzola cheese mixed with butter and chopped garlic, or crumbled blue cheese.
- With Toasted Bread Crumbs and Sage: Sprinkle the cabbage with toasted bread crumbs mixed with sage or another favored herb like rosemary to give it crunch and another layer of flavor.