Banana Based Ice Cream
by Christina Meyer-Jax, Tastemaker in Residence
2-3 overripe, frozen bananas
2-4 tbsp milk of choice (dairy or dairy alternative)
dash of salt
small dash vanilla extract (optional)
- Start with bananas that are turning too ripe (brown).
- Peel and cut into large pieces, then freeze in an airtight bag or container.
- Once frozen it's time to make the ice cream by throwing the ingredients listed above into a blender or food processor and blend until you achieve a soft-serve texture. You can serve immediately, or transfer to a container and freeze an additional 30 minutes, then scoop and enjoy.
Optional variations - Use the base recipe above with these additions or substitutions:
- Strawberry Banana Flavor- use only 2 frozen bananas and add in ½ cup frozen strawberries
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate- add 2-3 tbsp of peanut butter (or other nut butter) and 3 tbsp of cocoa powder
- Pina Colada- use ¼ cup coconut milk as your milk in the base recipe and add ½ frozen pineapple