Mango & Spice Brownie
by Cindi Sutter, Founder & Editor of Spirited Table®
I'm happy to kick-off a series of recipes that are part of the first-ever South Beach Mango Festival! This Mango & Spice Brownie recipe from star Chef Allen of the upcoming mango festival seemed like a perfectly sweet way to launch this series.
For more details see South Beach Mango Festival!
2 Ounces Unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ginger
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
4 Ounces Olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon Almond extract
1 cup Light brown sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 ripe Mango, peeled, cut from the pit and diced
1 cup Walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
To Prepare the batter:
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate. Sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice and set aside.
- Using a whisk, mix the olive oil, salt, vanilla and almond extracts. Add in the sugar, and the eggs one at a time.
- Switch to a spatula and fold in the spiced flour mixture only until incorporated. Stir in the mango, walnuts, and raisins.
To Bake the brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a nonstick prepared baking spray with flour, spray an 8-inch by 8-inch pan. Turn the mixture into the pan and spread out to an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes until just done. Test with a toothpick – to be inserted to come out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting into 16 pieces.