Derby Day Cocktails
by Cindi Sutter, Founder & Editor of Spirited Table®
Whether your bets are on Magnum Moon, Good Magic or Audible, The Regency Bar & Grill in New York, Bank & Bourbon in Philadelphia and Precinct Kitchen + Bar in Boston will be race day ready with a selection of signature cocktails.
No matter which cocktail you choose, you’ll be sipping in style for one of the biggest horse racing events of the season.
THE REGENCY BAR & GRILL, NEW YORK- Sip on these specialty cocktails from Flavor New York partner, Brooklyn Gin
12 mint leaves
1 sugar cube
2 oz. Brooklyn Gin
- Place mint, bitters and sugar cube in the bottom of julep cup, lightly muddle, add gin and top with crushed ice, swizzle, keeping mint at the bottom, and garnish with a beautiful mint sprig top
Improved Pendennis Club
3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
1/2 oz. apricot liqueur
1/4 oz. Simple syrup
2 oz. Brooklyn Gin
2 Dashes Peychaud's bitters
- Combine ingredients in a shaker, shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass
3/4 fresh lemon juice
1/2 simple syrup
1/2 St Germain
1 1/2 Brooklyn Gin
- Combine ingredients in a shaker without ice, and shake to emulsify, add ice and shake again, strain into a fizz glass and top with soda, garnish with an orange twist rolled into a flower shape and speared with a pick.
BANK & BOURBON, PHILADELPHIA
Grab your reins and head to Bank & Bourbon for a festive Jersey Julep while you watch the Kentucky Derby on one of the biggest screens in Philadelphia!
1 oz. Applejack Brandy
1 oz. Rittenhouse Rye
Dash Benedictine Liqueur
3 sprigs mint
½ oz. pear syrup
- To make pear syrup combine equal parts sugar and water and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add 1 sliced pear and let sit for 1 day. Strain through a fine mesh sieve to separate pear from syrup.
- Rip off bottom half of mint and briefly muddle in copper mug with pear syrup. Add liquors and fill ½ of the mug with crushed ice. Agitate with bar spoon until half melted and fill to mound until full. Garnish with mint sprigs and lime or sliced pear
PRECINCT KITCHEN + BAR, BOSTON
If you can’t decide if you want to celebrate Cinco de Mayo or the Kentucky Derby then just celebrate both at this Boston bar in Back Bay. Guests can enjoy classics like a Mint Julip or Caballo Picante for the holidays.
2 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
1 oz. Simple Syrup
- Crushed Mint Garnish and Fresh Mint Sprig
- Serve in a Highball with crushed ice