Valentines DIY + Sweet Pizza & Cookies
by Mimi & Vera Levin, Tastemakers in Residence
Valentine’s day. Some people love it, others prefer that it didn’t exist. I fall somewhere in the middle, but I would never turn down an opportunity to make heart-shaped goodies and give Valentine’s day inspired gifts! If you don’t feel like going all-out, here are some simple, subtler DIY/homemade goodies you can make to celebrate and enjoy the day!
Jar of Dates (or memories, or things you love about the other person)
- One mason jar
- Craft paper in two different colors. You could also use popsicle sticks and color the tip.
- Cut the paper into 1-inch thick strips and set aside.
- Separate the different colored strips of paper – one color will be for “free date ideas” pile, and the other color will be for “not free date ideas.”
- Brainstorm date ideas and write a date idea on each piece of paper (keeping the free dates on one color, the not free dates on the other)
- Free Date Ideas: hike (pick a couple of different places you want to explore, and these can each serve as separate dates), a picnic, free music in the park, tennis, build a snowman, go for a bike ride, drive around and find your dream house, at-home movie night, etc.
- Not Free Date Ideas: painting with a twist, movie night, bowling, brunch, puppy playgroup (for those who have a pup at home), rock climbing, comedy show, etc
- Fold the slips of paper and put them back in the jar
- Make a label on the front that show what each color means.
- This involves some time and creativity, but can save you both from having to make a last-minute date decision
Happy Valentines Day!