by Vicki Brunsvold, Tastemaker in Residence
8-10 hearty servings
1/2 lb. mild Italian sausage
1/2 lb. hot Italian sausage
1 lb. ground beef
2 cups sliced onion
2 cups sliced red bell peppers
2 cups sliced green bell peppers
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups shredded green cabbage
1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed, and slightly mashed
2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilis
1 Tbsp chili powder (or more if desired)
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided, 1 Tbsp used for garnish
2 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 Tbsp basil pesto
1 bay leaf
Shredded Pecorino Cheese for garnish
- In large Dutch oven, brown sausages and ground beef, drain on paper towels.
- Cook and stir onions and peppers in same pot, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add browned meats, cabbage, one can beans, all three cans tomatoes.
- Mash remaining cannellini beans, mix in seasonings and stir into chili.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or so.
- Stir occasionally. Remove bay leaf.
- Top each serving with cheese.