State Fair Fish Tacos at Home
Fresh fish fillets, (sea bass, halibut or tilapia)(you can skin and debone at home)
Mango or pineapple salsa from the refrigerated section (I adore Whole Foods!)
Small package of already shredded cabbage
2 fresh lemons
1 small can frozen orange juice
1 small package of finely chopped pecans
1 bundle fresh green onions
1 package spinach or garden tortillas
1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 pound fish fillets, skin removed (sea bass, halibut, or tilapia)
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp flour mixed with 1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
4-6 flour tortillas
- Cut the fish length-wise into 1- inch thick strips. Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Combine the chopped pecans, flour, salt and pepper on a plate. Firmly press all sides of the fish into the pecan mixture to coat well.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat 20 seconds. Add the olive oil and butter and heat until the butter is melted and bubbling.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add the fish fillets to the pan. Cook on one side for 1-2 minutes until nuts are golden brown. Watch because they burn quickly!
- Flip fish over and then place the entire frying pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes more or until fish is firm but still springy.
- Cut the fish pieces in half, if desired and then serve on a flour tortilla with some pineapple or mango salsa and shredded cabbage dressed with Ancho chili mayonnaise.