Labor Day 2017 Celebration Highlights & 3 Peachy Recipes
by Cindi Sutter, Founder of Spirited Table®
Happy Labor Day weekend to you and your F&F. I love to reach back into the past and hang on to the traditions that make our lives easier and happier. So today I'm sharing some new recipes and tips, along with a highlight reel of proven winners. Here's a sneak preview of 3 peach recipes from Vicki Brunsvold, that won't make a Food & Drink recipe appearance, until later this week.
Enjoy the weekend and don't forget to be safe!
See Vicki Brunsvold's 3 Peach Recipe preview below!
Peach Barbecue Sauce
1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1-1/4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup peach preserves
2 large peaches (1lb) peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sauté onion in hot oil in large sauté pan over medium heat for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly about one minute. Add ketchup, peach preserves and peaches.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add vinegar, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Cook's Note - Excellent served with grilled pork chops or pork tenderloin. Use some of the sauce to baste meat near the end of the grill time.
Summer Peach Salsa
1 cup diced fresh peaches
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (more if desired)
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- Stir all ingredients together in small bowl.
Cook's Note - Excellent with grilled salmon or a firm fish.
Fresh Peach Pie
1 pre-baked pie crust
3 peaches, peeled and sliced
4-5 peaches, peeled, crushed to make 1 1/2 cups
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed, divided
- Fill pie crust with peach slices, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp lemon juice.
- Bring to boil over medium heat the crushed peaches, sugar, cornstarch, salt and butter.
- Stir constantly for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and let cool.
- Pour cooled peach mixture over fresh peach slices.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.