A Taste of the Tropics
by Zehorit Heilicher, Tastemaker in Residence - Cocktail images and recipe excerpted from Beach Cocktails by the Editors of Coastal Living. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Time Inc. New York, NY. All rights reserved.
So, you have the Mocktail/Cocktail figured out for Mom’s special day, right? Those tropical flavors of the Pineapple-Apricot Cooler (it's the one with the umbrella below) will bring sunshine into your day, regardless where you find yourself geographically. (you can always add your favorite Rum, Vodka or Gin to the Cooler).
But what to serve with it, keeping the sweet and refreshing taste of the tropics? Here is an easy and flavorful chicken skewer recipe that can be cooked under the broiler or grilled. Serve it as an appetizer, or even as an entrée. Offer the Mocktail alongside these skewers and transport the special woman in your life to a relaxing tropical beach without leaving home!
Tropical Chicken Skewers - Recipe
Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
1-lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 2" strips
1 cup peach jam
½ cup pineapple juice
1 Tbsp Sriracha, (more or less according to preference)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp fresh lime-juice
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Wooden skewers, soaked and drained
- Make the marinade & marinate chicken: In a medium bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients, season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Place chicken slices in a zip top bag and pour marinade over it. Seal bag and shake to coat chicken.
- Place chicken in fridge and marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Cook chicken: Heat oven broiler or grill on medium-high.
- Thread chicken on wooden skewers (small skewers for appetizer size with 1 slice of chicken, or longer ones for entree size with 2-3 slices of chicken).
- Cook the chicken until cooked through 5-7 minutes.
- Serve the chicken skewers hot with additional wedges of lime as an appetizer, or over jasmine rice for an entree.