Strawberry Rhubarb Cocktail Puree
by Christina Meyer-Jax, Tastemaker in Residence
3 cups Rhubarb, chopped (pink or red stalks only)
3 cups Strawberries, top removed and chopped (or use frozen)
3 inch piece of Fresh Ginger, thickly sliced
1/2 cup sugar
Juice of one squeeze lime (optional)
1 cup water
- Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, ginger, sugar, and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is soft and the liquid has thickened slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Pour the rhubarb mixture through a fine mesh strainer until most of the liquid is in the bowl.
- Press the solids a little with the back of a spoon to extract more syrup.
- Discard the pieces of ginger.
- Set the solids aside in a bowl and then carefully pour the syrup into a silicone ice cube trays.
- Freeze puree until ready to use.
Pop Strawberry Rhubarb Cocktail Puree out into a highball glass and add/pour any of the following to purer:
*Sparkling water, mint leaves, vodka
*Sparkling water, cucumber vodka
*Sparkling water, Kentucky Bourbon
*Mocktail: Just add favorite sparkling water (plain, lime, cucumber) garnish with fruit slices or mint.