Tim’s Layered Antipasto
by Laura Frerichs, Tastemaker in Residence
2 fennel bulbs, quartered and sliced thinly 1 jar (16 oz) mild cherry peppers
1 cup pitted, chopped imported black olives 8 oz. Italian salami, cut in thin strips
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp chopped fresh fennel leaves
1⁄2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 oz. thin-sliced provolone cheese, cut into strips Italian bread
- Spread fennel in large, shallow serving dish.
- Drain off liquid from the jar of cherry peppers, reserving 1 Tablespoon of it for the dressing.
- Quarter the peppers and rinse under running water to remove seeds. Spread pepper quarters over fennel.
- Arrange olives over peppers.
- Scatter cheese and salami over olives.
- Whisk remaining ingredients; drizzle evenly over salad.
- Serve at room temperature with plenty of fresh Italian bread to soak up the dressing.
This is from the cookbook Asparagus to Zucchini and was a adapted from a recipe by Tim Mahoney of St. Paul.