Pop-up a White Christmas Party
by Cindi Sutter, Founder & Editor of Spirited Table®
If this finds you in a warm climate, you’re probably asking me, really, the only thing white about today is the Clorox I just used or the egg I just cooked. I know, I grew up in such a predicament as well. But, I’ve experienced two all white parties in my life, so with that in mind, here’s your template for Popping up a White Christmas Party!
I'll tempt your palette first with these white food ideas below from our Hazeltine White Party, as well as three currently trending a recipes from Valerie Bertinelli's cookbook Valerie's HOME COOKING, Key Lime Martini, Steamed Clams with Spicy Garlic Bread - Lemon-Raspberry Pan Cotta, all dressed up in white!
Tips for White Party Success!
- Easy Invites - Use your favorite paperlesspost, and make it white. Or use white paper and white envelopes and make it bright with a silver pen.
- Ask your guests to wear all white.
- If you have the space, buy a small (a tabletop size is perfect) Christmas Tree and flock it white-see Holiday Christmas Tree Style. Put some white chocolate in a clear cellophane bag and tie it with silver ribbon, for their small but elegant take home gift. You can use this as your centerpiece too!
- Or if you've discovered the fun in creating your own flower arrangements, find a white or clear vase (you can use any glass container), go to Trader Joe’s or your favorite place to find flowers and buy white flowers and a few greens and put them in a vase. If you have time for some flower tips see Ardith’s 12 Flower Designs in one Vase and just make it all white with a splash of greens.
- Greet them at the door with Neal Kielar’s recipe for Tom & Jerry: A Harmonious Holiday Treat
- If you have them, use white plates and napkins or a white, silver or gold tablecloth
- If you’re already dreaming of summer again, here’s my first white pop-up party and the table our team created! We each had an assignment; food, flowers, plates, tableware, wine, beer, you get the idea and you could share the party with some friends, and that always makes it a lot easier to pull together.
- You guessed it… serve white wine or champagne and find Lisa’s Best Champagnes under $15 that aren’t Andre’
- The summer before the Ryder Cup season of craziness, we had a White Party at Hazeltine. Chef and team created all white food, that was absolutely spectacular. I don’t have his recipes, but I do have an exact description.
- The appetizer was a blonde frisée & endive salad, with pears, bleu cheese, almonds and white balsamic vinegar.
- Butter-poached Halibut are placed on a bed of white asparagus, whipped potatoes in a light Clam Cream Sauce.
- Dessert was a white coconut cake, with white icing topped with coconut.
- See photos below.
- Give your guests their white chocolate in cellophane to take home, then put up your feet and relax!
- Next summer, find a white pop-up event near you! Diner En Blanc 2017: How to Participate in The Most Secret and Chic Dinner in White or find one in your own community like this one in Minneapolis!
Photos of my first white pop-up party in Minneapolis, a table top tip in silver and white and 2 of the white dinner courses at Hazeltine.