Butternut Squash and Pear Soup
by Vicki Brunsvold, Tastemaker in Residence
Need some fruits for your winter recipes? Try the impressive...Pear. The season begins when Bartlett pears start arriving at the Greenmarkets in late summer. They're soon followed by Bosc and Comice which are in season in the fall through winter. The Anjou is known as a winter pear.
4 Tbsp butter
2 medium onions, diced
2 lbs peeled and seeded squash, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cloves garlic
4 pears, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 quart low sodium chicken stock or enough to cover
1 sprig rosemary
1 Tbsp minced ginger
2 tsp curry powder (or more if desired)
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook's Notes: You can add about 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Roast lightly salted squash and garlic on a lightly oiled sheet pan for 30 minutes, adding the pears to the pan for the last 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat, add the onions, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the squash, pears, rosemary, ginger, and curry powder and cover with stock.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove rosemary and puree with immersion blender.
- Season to taste. Add optional cream for rich flavor.