Carrot Tart With Ricotta and Almond Filling
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds (about 5 1/2 ounces)
2 lbs rainbow or orange carrots, peeled, cut into 3 1/2x1/4–1/2" sticks; plus 1 cup coarsely chopped tops
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
2 Tbsp sugar, divided
2 1/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
2 tsp red wine vinegar, divided
1/2 tsp ground allspice, divided
1/4 tsp plus 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups whole-milk ricotta
2 Tbsp thyme leaves
1 (14–17-oz) package frozen puff pastry, preferably all-butter, thawed
All-purpose flour (for dusting)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread almonds on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook carrots, orange juice, 4 Tbsp. butter, 1 Tbsp. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. vinegar, 1/4 tsp. allspice, and 1 1/2 cups water in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, 10–12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer carrots to a plate, reserving liquid in skillet, and let cool.
- Transfer 1/4 cup almonds to a small bowl; set aside. Process 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and remaining almonds, 1 Tbsp. sugar and 1/4 tsp. allspice in a food processor until finely chopped. Add eggs, ricotta, thyme, orange zest, and remaining 4 Tbsp. butter and process until smooth.
- Gently roll pastry to an 18x13” rectangle on a lightly floured sheet of parchment. Transfer with parchment to a rimmed baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, lightly score a 1/2" border around pastry (for a decorative border, make small shallow diagonal cuts within that border).
- Spread egg mixture evenly within border of pastry, then arrange carrots over in a geometric pattern. To create a chevron (zigzag) pattern, form 6 carrots into 3 even "V" shapes so points are touching the long border of the crust. Fill with additional rows of "V" shapes, cutting carrots to fit as needed.
- Bake tart until filling is puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat reserved carrot-cooking liquid in skillet over high; cook, stirring, until reduced to a thick syrup, about 10 minutes. Brush top of tart with syrup while still warm. Cut into 12–16 pieces.
- Whisk oil and remaining 1 tsp. vinegar, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper in a medium bowl. Add shallot, carrot tops, and reserved almonds and toss to combine. Arrange over tart to serve.
- If the carrots you use don't have tops, use 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley instead.