Nonstick spray or a little butter for the pan
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
2 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray or butter a 9-inch square baking pan or a 10-inch diameter cast-iron skillet.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all dry ingredients. It's not necessary to sift, but make sure that the sugar and the baking soda are well distributed.
- Beat together buttermilk, egg, and melted butter. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients, and mix thoroughly with a few quick strokes.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife probing the center comes out clean.
- If you are not equipped with buttermilk, you can swap in 1 cup milk mixed with 1 teaspoon cider vinegar.
- This can be vegan if you substitute soy milk (plus vinegar) for the buttermilk and omit the egg. (And, of course, use olive oil.)