Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month With A Spicy Margarita
by Mimi & Vera Levin, Tastemakers in Residence
Every year beginning on September 15th, Hispanic Heritage Month begins. This is a time of recognition and celebration of individuals of Hispanic and Latino origin who have made positive contributions to United States. Some celebrities that we laud during this time are Shakira, Gabriel Iglesias, and Salma Hayek for their works in music, comedy, and flim. While we may not be able to attend the various festivals, parades, and parties across the nation, who is to say we can’t throw our own? Let’s ring in Hispanic Heritage Month with my personal favorite drink, the Margarita.
Tequila- I prefer silver
Fresh squeezed lime juice
- Add 2 jalapeno peppers, each cut into fourths, to the bottle of tequila. Let it sit for at least 12 hours.
- Add 1 handful of ice, 1.5 ounces of silver tequila, 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice, ½ ounce Cointreau, and 1.5 tablespoons of agave syrup to a shaker.
- Shake until well-blended.
- Coat the rim of the margarita glass with salt.
- Strain margarita mixture into the margarita glass and garnish with a slice of jalapeno.