Summer's Meal on the Grill
by Ross Bowen, Tastemaker in Residence
We set out to cook an entire meal on the grill. The evening cooled off pleasantly for late August, and the wind kept the mosquitos at bay.
For an appetizer we grilled sliced bread brushed with olive oil, topped with my wife’s favorite food, avocado.
Instead of our most common grilled vegetable choice, asparagus, we opted for the fresh green beans we found at the farmer’s market in the morning.
Our skewered shrimp had a nice sweet and spicy flavor added by the brown sugar and cayenne marinade.
And finally, we grilled watermelon slices tossed with mint and feta. The mint really enhanced the melon, but the feta turned it into an entirely new food. It was surprisingly substantial.
Enjoy these great late summer grilling nights! For more prep and BBQ tips and photos go to each recipe link.
- Slice a baguette on the diagonal, about ½ inch thick. Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil and place on the medium hot grill for a few minutes a side. When the bread had nice grill marks, pull off. Do not let it char.
- We like to simply spread ripe avocado over the bread and splash with lime juice.
Ample amount of green beans, sized for the dining party
3-4 minced garlic heads
- Clean and trim green beans. Toss with olive oil, minced garlic, and kosher salt and leave aside for thirty minutes.
- Grill the beans in a grill basket for 5-6 minutes, or until starting to blacken.
¼ cup brown sugar
Juice from one large lemon
1 tsp cayenne pepper per pound of shrimp, and not more
Lemon zest from the lemon
1-2 lbs shrimp
- Peel and de-vein the shrimp if not already done.
- Marinate the shrimp in the brown sugar, the lemon juice, oil, cayenne, and a pinch of salt. Set aside for one hour.
- Thread the shrimp tightly on skewers. Grill for about three minutes per side – watch for the translucence of the shrimp to turn to white
- Brush grill off after the shrimp and before other recipes are added
1 medium seedless watermelon
¼ mint leaves, torn
½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- Slice the watermelon into one-inch rounds, then quarter it.
- Brush with olive oil, then grill two to three minutes on each side. Remove from grill.
- Juice the lime and orange, and a couple of tablespoons of olive oli, and brush onto slice.
- Spread the mint leaves and crumbled feta and serve.