Domestic Goddess Dump Cake
by Kimberley Thompson, Tastemaker in Residence
This is an updated recipe. I made an editorial error; sorry for any confusion. Cindi Sutter
My quickest rhubarb recipe!
I love “dump cakes” for their sheer simplicity! I always have the ingredients on hand for unexpected company…and it travels marvelously! I prefer the recipe below made with raspberry Jello for a less sweet dessert.
4 -5 cups diced rhubarb
3/4 cup sugar
1 (3 ounce) packages raspberry gelatin powder or 1 (3 ounce) packages strawberry gelatin
1 (18 1/2 ounce) boxes yellow cake mix ( with pudding in the mix)
1/2 cup butter (try using browned butter for a “nuttier” taste.)
1 cup water
vanilla ice cream or cool whip dessert topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan with the rhubarb.
- Sprinkle sugar over the rhubarb.
- Sprinkle dry raspberry gelatin, ( or strawberry gelatin ) which ever you prefer; over the sugar.
- Next, sprinkle the cake mix over the gelatin.
- Melt butter; pour over the cake mix.
- Pour the 1 cup of water over cake mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool completely; then chill in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, invert onto plate.
- Top with either vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip.
- Serves 12 to 16.
- Note: If using frozen rhubarb, reduce the amount of water to 1/2 cup.
- This cake was baked in a gas oven.