Thai Me Up Meatball Sub
by Katie Chin, Tastemaker in Residence
2 cups coconut milk
1 ½ lbs lean ground beef
1 ½ tsp minced fresh ginger
1 large egg
¾ tsp salt
2 Tbsp high-heat cooking oil
3 Tbsp panaeng curry paste or red curry paste
¾ cup water
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp fish sauce (nam pla)
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp brown sugar
4-6 kaffir lime leaves (optional), torn in half
4 12-inch soft baguettes
fresh cilantro leaves
fresh Thai basil leaves
sliced fresh Jalapeno or Serrano chilies
crushed roasted peanuts
- Mix the ground beef with ginger, salt and egg. Shape mixture into 20 meatballs. Transfer meatballs onto a platter.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the coconut milk to the frying pan and let come a gentle simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the curry paste to the pan and cook about 3 minutes, stirring to dissolve the paste into the coconut milk. Return the meatballs and cook, turning gently to coat, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, bring to a gentle boil, and add the water, fish sauce, brown sugar and kaffir lime leaves. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring gently until the meatballs are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Slice baguettes open with serrated knife. Place cilantro leaves, basil leaves and shredded carrots in the bottom and sides of each baguette. Using a slotted spoon, place 5 meatballs in each baguette. Drizzle curry sauce on top of the meatballs. Place chilies on top and garnish with crushed peanuts. Serve immediately with a bowl of curry sauce on the side.