Tune-into Katie's demo on Fox's The Real + Recipe Today
Pineapple Fried Rice
1 whole pineapple
1 tsp salt, divided
Dash of white pepper
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp oil, divided
3 cups (450 g) cooked and chilled white rice
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 cup (150 g) cubed cooked chicken breast
1 cup (150 g) cubed cooked shrimp
6 white button mushrooms, sliced
½ cup (75 g) fresh or thawed frozen peas
2 green onions (scallions), finely chopped, plus more for garnish
Salt and white pepper
- Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise and remove the fruit from the middle. Cut out the eyes and core. Set the pineapple shell aside. Dice the pineapple fruit. Dry the diced pineapple with paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, add ½ teaspoon salt and pepper to the eggs.
- Heat half the oil a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and stir-fry until the eggs are thickened throughout but still moist. Remove the eggs from the wok or skillet and set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry the wok or skillet.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, shrimp, chicken, mushrooms, peas and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the reserved eggs, pineapple and green onions and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Scoop the fried rice into the pineapple shells and garnish with more green onion. Serve immediately.
Cook's Note - For best results, rice should be chilled in a refrigerator over night before cooking this dish.