Coconut Cake with Mango Sauce
by Katie Chin, Tastemaker in Residence
1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups (400 g) sugar
3 cups (400 g) all-purpose ﬂour, plus more for dusting
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
One 14 oz (400 ml) can coconut milk
Toasted shredded coconut for topping
1 cup (250 ml) puréed mango
½ cup (100 g) sugar
1 Tbsp all-purpose cornstarch
¾ cup (185 ml) water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a bundt pan with nonstick baking spray and dust with ﬂour. In a small bowl, whisk together the ﬂour, salt, and baking powder.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and ﬂuffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time. Once incorporated, add the extracts. Stir in the coconut milk alternating with the ﬂour mixture and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the center is ﬁrm and the cake comes away from the sides of the pan, about 50 minutes.
- Mango Sauce: Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan. Whisk until lump free. Place over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil until the sauce is transparent and thick. If it's too thick add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove from heat.
- Cool cake 5 minutes before turning it out onto a rack. Let cool completely on the rack. Top with shredded coconut and drizzle the sauce over top before serving.