Watch Christina Tomorrow on Fox 9 - National Nutrition Month Tips
by Christina Meyer-Jax MS, RD, Tastemaker in Residence
I will be on FOX 9 Morning show this Sunday around 9:45am. Spirited Table® followers have the inside track for Christina's recipes and tips for March; that includes Spring Break too.
March is National Nutrition Month - Theme: Savor the Flavor of Eating Right
Taste is king! A study by the Natural Marketing Institute found once again that taste tops the list of important attributes when consumers choose food. But next in line is value and nutritious ingredients. So it seems on point that March 2016’s National Nutrition Month theme is: Savor the Flavor of Eating Right
Christina Meyer-Jax, registered dietitian and professor, joins us this morning with tips and culinary tricks to amp up the taste on everyday good for you food. She will also share the newest trends is seasonings for both food and drinks. Getting spring break ready has never tasted so good!
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 tsp cumin seed
2 cups yellow onion, diced (1 large)
1 1/2 Tbsp garlic minced
1 jalapeno, seeded, diced finely
1/2 cup ginger root, peeled & grated
1 (15-oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 tsp garam masala spice blend
1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 (15-oz) cans garbanzo beans drained
12 oz filtered water
1 tsp sea salt
- Heat the canola oil on medium-high heat in a sauce pan. Add the cumin seeds and let sizzle for about 15 seconds; then add the onions. Sauté for about 5-10 minutes, until edges start to brown. Add jalapenos, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for about 2 more minutes. Add the tomatoes and garam masala and cook until dark and thick, about 10 minutes, stirring often. Add cilantro and all remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Season to taste.
Tips & Notes Serving Tip: Serve hot over basmati rice, with warm naan bread, or over steamed spinach.
Fish and Bean Tacos with Pickled Salsa
1 pound firm white fish (thawed if frozen)
2 limes, halved
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 (15oz) can S&W® Pinto Beans, 50% Less Sodium (drained, rinsed)
8 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray shallow baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Squeeze juice from one lime over fish filets.
- In small bowl, combine garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and onion powder.
- Sprinkle seasoning evenly over both sides of fish filets and arrange in pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from oven and flake fish into bite sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine shredded cabbage, pinto beans and juice from remaining lime.
- Divide fish evenly among warmed tortillas. Top each taco with 1/3 cup of the cabbage-bean mixture. Serve with additional toppings if desired.
Cook’s Note- Optional Toppings:red onion, avocado, cotija cheese, cilantro, sriracha aioli, sour cream