by Table 301, Tastemaker in Residence
½ lb shaved capicolla
½ lb shaved speck, or similar cured ham
2/3 cup crumbled bleu cheese
2 fresh baguettes
Fig Spread (recipe follows)
Caramelized onions (recipe follows)
Fig Spread: Ingredients
1 cup dried black mission figs
¼ cup sherry vinegar
½ cup water
1 small shallot, sliced
4 Tbsp brown sugar
- Combine in sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10-12 minutes. The figs will plump. Transfer contents of saucepan into a food processor, and blend until smooth. Season to taste.
Caramelized Onions: Ingredients
1 ea large sweet onion, cut into thin strips
2 Tbsp butter
- Melt butter in large skillet, then add onions. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Season to taste. Spread out to cool on a baking sheet.
- Cut each baguette into three equal pieces and cut open. Spread fig spread liberally on both sides of the bread. Sprinkle bleu cheese crumbles on the bottom.
- Next, top with layers of each ham, then caramelized onions. Place top bread on, and wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375°, for 7-8 minutes. Carefully remove foil, and cut each sandwich into thirds.