Braised Yam, Onion and Broccoli
by Brenda Langton, Tastemaker in Residence
Cooking a few vegetables together perfectly can make a very simple meal delicious.
2 onions cut into quarters or 6th’s depending on the size, leaving some of the the root on to hold them together.
2 yams peeled and cut into ½ inch thick rounds
2 cups broccoli flowers, leave plenty of stem on
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce
½ Tbsp chopped fresh ginger
½ cup water
- In a large skillet heat up olive oil over medium heat, add onions and yams and do not stir until they get golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Now stir them and add soy sauce, ginger and water, cover and simmer about 10 minutes, until done.
- Now add the broccoli and cover for 3-5 minutes until just tender.
- If the water cooks out simple add a splash more.
- You can serve these with a simple grain on the side and be happy.
- If you want more protein you could add tempeh in with the onions and yams.
- Another option would be to add almonds or walnuts to your grain.
- Sometimes I add fresh herbs instead of the ginger which changes the flavor.