Meal Prep Recipes to Keep You Healthy During the Holidays
Here are the recipes I featured this morning on FOX 9 around 8:45am. These recipes are perfect for our Spirited Table® Tastemakers holiday campaign. How to Thrive, not just Survive the Holidays! Don't miss my healthy Sweet and Sriracha Slow Cooker Chicken also seen on Fox 9 today! How to Thrive Tips and tricks continue between now and December 31st!
Building Mason Jars On-The-Go Salads
- The key is building a foundation around mixing and matching the following ingredients and layering in your mason jars:
- Healthy Whole Grain or Starchy Vegetables:
- Examples are: quinoa, brown rice, roasted sweet potatoes, yams, and squash
- Nutrient Dense Proteins
- Examples are: Beans, legumes, chicken (I prefer choosing No Antibiotic Ever varieties), nuts, and seeds
- Vegetables or Fruit (depending on flavor profile)
- Examples are: anything that tastes good to you! I enjoy mixing fresh, frozen, or roasted varieties
- Leafy Greens
- Examples: Choose nutrient rich and flavorful varieties such as spinach, kale, arugula, wilted chard or collard greens
- Simple ingredient dressing (homemade or prepared) and/or olive oil and herb mixes to flavor your mason jar
My featured recipe:
Mason Jar Zoodles Bean Salad with Avocado Spinach Dressing
(Serves 2—double or triple ingredients as needed)
1 1/2 cups spiraled zucchini
1/2 cup S&W reduced sodium black beans (or sub chicken)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped roasted (or fresh) red bell pepper
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup feta cheese
2 tablespoons kalalmata olives
Avocado Spinach Dressing
1/2 cup fresh packed spinach
1/2 ripe avocado
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, plain, 2%
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Minnesota Nice Spice Blend (or pepper can work too)
- Spiral or shred or thinly slice zucchini. Set aside.
- In a high powdered blender mix dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 the dressing into the bottom of 2 mason jars.
- Add celery on top of dressing.
- Add peppers on top of carrots then top with beans or chicken.
- Sprinkle feta cheese then add tomatoes and olives.
- Lastly, place 1/2 the spiraled zucchini into each mason jar.
- Cover and refrigerate. Last up to 5 days.
- Once ready to eat, shake the jar vigorously then pour onto a plate. Toss with fork if needed to mix dressing.