Avocado Caribbean Jerk Chicken Bowls
by Christina Meyer-Jax, Tastemaker in Residence
Time is tight most weekday nights so my quick, flavorful, and nutritious answer is this 5 ingredient one bowl wonder! Make extra and you’re set for lunch the next day too!
6 Purdue® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (No Antibiotics Ever)
32 oz of low sodium chicken broth
2 cups jasmine rice (can sub in brown rice if preferred)
1 can low sodium black beans
2 Tbsp Jammin’ Jerk Spice from Minnesota Nice Spice (or other jerk seasoning blend of choice)
- Add chicken breasts to slow cooker.
- Pour chicken broth over until chicken breast are covered.
- Stir in Jerk Spice mix
- Cover and set slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours.
- Take chicken breasts out and shred with forks in small pieces. Add back into slow cooker and simmer for another 1-2 hours on low-warm setting.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Once light and fluffy add can of black beans and stir. Simmer until everything is warm.
- Add rice and beans to bowl. Scoop shredded jerk chicken on top.
- Garnish with sliced avocado and/or other veggies that you prefer.
- Sprinkle a dusting of Jerk Spice on top.
This post was written as part of my partnership with Perdue. All opinions expressed are my own.
1. The published version of this working paper is:
“Wansink, Brian and Jeffery Sobal (2007), “Mindless Eating: The 200 Daily Food
Decisions We Overlook,” Environment and Behavior, 39:1 (January), 106-23