Spiced Orange Cake with Glazed Oranges & Greek Yogurt Whip
1 package yellow cake mix [start Cake ingredients]
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp Sunkist® orange zest
1 1/4 cup freshly squeezed Sunkist® orange juice
3 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 Sunkist Navel oranges [start Glazed Orange ingredients]
2 Tbsp Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream [start Yogurt Whip ingredients]
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp Sunkist orange zest
1 tsp finely minced fresh rosemary (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F°.
- To make the cake first prepare a 12 cup Bundt cake pan (pan spray and flour) and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer or other large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, spices, orange zest and juice, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract. With a paddle attachment (or whisk if doing by hand) mix on medium speed until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed with a spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick/cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then turn cake out onto a rack to cool thoroughly. Store cake covered, at room temperature.
- To make the Glazed Oranges, first cut the oranges into slices. With a sharp knife cut a thin slice off the ends of each orange. Then cut the rind off the orange all the way around, using downward cutting motions. Repeat with the remaining oranges. After you have cut away all the rind and white pith from the oranges, cut them into 1/4-inch slices and flick out any seeds.
- Place the orange slices in a large, shallow glass baking dish, sprinkle with the orange liqueur.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the sugar, water and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 1 minute. Let cool, then pour the syrup over the sliced oranges. Cover the oranges with plastic wrap and let them marinate, refrigerated for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
- To make the whipped cream, place the cream and granulated sugar in a medium bowl, whip with a whisk until peaked. Slowly fold in the Greek yogurt, orange zest, and chopped rosemary. Refrigerate until ready to serve with the cake.
- Serve slices of cake topped with Glazed Oranges and dollops of Greek Yogurt Whip.
See more at: