Mid-week-Eat Healthier-Eat 60 Encouragement
by Cindi Sutter, Founder of The Spirited Table®
It’s the week after New Years and I needed some mid-week encouragement. Spirited Table’s Eat 60 campaign includes a healthier way to eat without compromising your 60 minutes a week, eating time together. Leftovers help preserve that timeline immensely.
So…here’s a way to satisfy your family members with a dish that can adapt to the lentil lovers and the non-lentil lovers.
Ingredients - I used the veggies I had, so you do the same.
extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion chopped
5 celery stalks chopped
7 carrots (not peeled, but thoroughly scrubbed) chopped
ham or turkey leftovers sliced
8-10 mushrooms sliced
1 bell pepper chopped
1/4-1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
1/2 cup Trader Joe's Corn Chili Salsa
1/4 cup Trader Joe's Thai Curry Sauce
Whole Package of Trader Joe's Lentils or (brown rice)
1 Tbsp Sel de Cuisine (seasoned salt from Golden Fig)
Pepper to taste
- No need to mess up a bowl-all mixing occurs in the pan. Sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes. Add celery and carrots and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ham/turkey, mushrooms, bell pepper and sun-dried tomatoes and cook for about 5 more minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and allow the flavors to mix for about 8-10 more minutes on a low heat. The Trader Joe's lentils are shrink wrapped and already cooked, so you're just heating them up.
- Adjust quantities as needed.
- If you’re preparing for family members that don’t like lentils, cook all the ingredients, except the lentils, then extract a portion of the mix for them; pour their non-lentil veggies over cooked brown rice.
- You’ve got left-overs with and without lentils to keep everyone on the healthy plan.
- I love Golden Fig's spices and my current favorite is Sel de Cuisine; it literally improves every dish it touches.