by Vicki Brunsvold, Tastemaker in Residence
18.5 oz box German chocolate cake mix (Duncan Hines is best)
1 stick butter, melted
1/3 cup + 1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup finely chopped pecans
60 caramels, unwrapped
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease 9X9 baking pan and dust with flour.
- Mix together cake mix, melted butter, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, and pecans. Mixture will be thick. Divide dough in half - pressing half into prepared pan. Bake until slightly set - 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In double boiler, combine caramels and 1/2 cup evaporated milk. Stir occasionally until melted and mixture is smooth. Pour evenly over baked layer and sprinkle on chocolate chips.
- On clean surface or on waxed paper, press the remaining dough into almost a 9X9 square. Carefully set on top of chocolate chips in pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let brownies cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for several hours until set.
- Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.
Cut into squares and enjoy!